DIY EUROKITCHEN: PART VI
Cabinet Door Sizing
The big difference between measuring for Frameless Kitchen Cabinet Doors and Framed Cabinet Doors is precision. There is leeway when fitting doors to a cabinet with a face frame. Not so with frameless.
Euro-Style Kitchen doors have a tolerance of 1/16th of an inch. All you will see when you are done is the cabinet door, false door panels, and corresponding fillers where opposing cabinets meet. Gaps between doors and fillers are approximately 1/8th of an inch, plus or minus a tiny fraction of that.
You want to make your initial measurements as precise as possible so any trimming necessary is absolutely minimal. Otherwise, your finished product will be awkwardly visible in contrast to another door that has not been trimmed.
Door Width Measurement Guidelines
- If a cabinet is by itself, no side panels, measure the whole cabinet side to side. That is your door width.
- If a cabinet is by itself with side panels, subtract 1/4 inch from the cabinet width. The side panel size will be measured from the wall to the front of the cabinet plus 7/8″. This allows for thickness of door plus 1/8″ hinge adjustment play.
- An end cabinet with side panel joined to 1 or more additional cabinets will allow for 1/8″ gap between door and side panel. The opposing side where it meets another cabinet will have 1/16″ subtracted from the measurement. This will correspond to 1/16″ subtraction from adjoining cabinet door measurement. A 1/8th inch gap between the 2 doors will result.
Example: 3 – 15″ wall cabinets with decorative side panels on each end, joined together and stand alone as one big unit.
- First door on left will have a measurement of 14-13/16″
- Middle door will have a measurement of 14-7/8″
- Door on right will have a measurement of 14-13/16″
- Drawer Fronts will follow the same guidelines.
This scenario will give you 1/8″ gap between each door and the same gap between the outside doors and the end panels.
Door Height Measurement Guidelines
This measurement is a little tricky, so use the following steps.
- First know the depth of your countertop overlapping the top of your cabinet. If the bottom of your countertop edge is flush with the top of your cabinet, then you will be “net” on your drawer and door vertical sizing. If not, measure from the bottom of your countertop edge to the bottom of your cabinet. That will be your new ” net” vertical sizing.
- Use a 6″ drawer front as your basic size for your top drawer.
- Subtract 6″ plus 1/4″ from the the total vertical measurement. This allows for drawer clearance under counter top edge.
- With the space left for your door, subtract 1/8th inch. This allows the proper gap between bottom of drawer front and top of door. The remaining number is the vertical measurement for your base cabinet door.
- If the the top of your wall cabinet has crown molding or a filler, subtract 1/8th inch from total vertical cabinet measurement.
- If under-cabinet lighting space is required, add 3/4″ to vertical cabinet measurement for door.
Example: 42″ tall cabinet height: 42″ – 1/8″ + 3/4″ = 42 5/8″ door size.
This allows for door to cover the actual molding surrounding the under-cabinet lights.
Mounting The Doors
For concealed hinges you need a 35 mm (millimeter) boring bit specially designed for cabinet doors. On top of that you need some type of boring tool.
What I did was purchase a small drill press from Harbor Freight. I mounted the press on a plywood stand that had an adjustable fence to butt my door against. I then took a scrap of wood and clamped it to my drill press base platform. I adjusted it to gauge the distance from the edge of the door to the edge of the bored hole. The gap should be 3/16″.
The center of the top and bottom hole should be 3″ to 3 1/2″. The middle hole (if necessary) is centered between the other two.
When placing hinge cups in the hole, use a straight edge the length of the door to align the hinges before screwing them in with 5/8″ cabinet door screws. Insert cabinet mounting clips into hinges and place in open position.
Clamp temporary piece of wood to underside of cabinet to support door while installing. It will stick out from bottom of cabinet about 1″. Rest the door on temporary wood support while resting open hinges against inside of cabinet box. Press door against 1/8″ shims to maintain proper distance between door and cabinet face. Screw in clips to inside of cabinet box.
On wall cabinets with under cabinet lighting, add 3/4″ piece between bottom of cabinet and temporary wood support. This will clear molding addition and longer door.
Mounting Drawer Fronts
Drawer Fronts are the hardest part of the cabinet door/drawer front mounting process. The drawer fronts fill the gap between the bottom of the countertop and the top of the door. Maintaining a precise 1/8″ gap between them and the top of a door can test your patience (if you have any). This is what I do.
- Insert two drywall screws into backside of the front of the drawer box where you plan to have permanent mounting screws. Let them poke through the front of box by about 1/8″ – 3/16″.
- Place 1/8″ spacer between bottom of drawer front and top of door.
- Close drawer box and door.
- Rest drawer front on spacers and align edges of drawer front with door.
- While holding drawer front in place, tap on front with your fist or hammer (covering hammer face with rag or similar protection).
- Remove drawer face and locate small screw marks on inside of drawer front.
- Drill shallow 1/8″ starter holes in screw marks.
- Remove drywall screws.
- Drill 1/4″ holes where drywall screws were located
- Insert wafer-head cabinet mounting screws (screws with head and washer combined) in holes. Align screw tips with drawer front holes. Then screw in snug but not tight.
- Close drawer and make slight alignments as is necessary.
- Tighten screws
What is left is the fillers. They will be mounted so that they will also have a 1/8″ gap between them and the adjoining door/drawer front. You can screw or glue them to a similarly colored sub-filler that mounts flush with the face of the cabinet box. The front of the finished filler will then be flush with the doors/drawer fronts.
All of this installation process will give you a nicely finished and clean-looking European-Styled kitchen. If done with care and patience, it will have a professional appearance to it. If something doesn’t look right, it is easy to fix. Hinges and drawer fronts are all adjustable.
This will end our cabinet building, finishing, and installation series. Don’t be put off by anyone spouting off criticisms of why someone like you should attempt a project of this magnitude. When you are done, it should silence them. And you will be proud of accomplishing this project on your own without professional help. Happy kitchen building!
I am requesting that my readers click on the links provided and download a sample read of each book and give a review on Amazon. You will have free access to the first four chapters of each book. My hope is that you will like the story lines enough to obtain either an eBook version or a paperback copy that you can put on your bookshelf as a masterpiece when you are done. FATE STALKS A HERO I: RESURGENCE, FATE STALKS A HERO II:THE FIJI FULCRUM, and THE SAGA OF HERACLES PENOIT. I will be giving excerpts on these works in upcoming blogs to familiarize you the reader with exciting details about the contents of each one. Thank you!
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
You really make it appear so easy together with your
presentation however I in finding this matter to be actually one thing which I believe I would by no
means understand. It sort of feels too complex and very huge for me.
I am having a look ahead in your next put up, I’ll try to get the cling of it!
Ꮋello, itѕ fastidious article сoncerning media print,
ѡe all be familiar with medi iѕ a impressive source օf data.
hello!,I love your writing very so much! percentage we keep up a
correspondence extra about your article on AOL? I require a specialist on this area to solve my problem.
May be that is you! Looking forward to look you.
Some really rattling work on behalf of the owner of this site, dead outstanding articles.
There is definately a great deal to learn about this topic.
I like all of the points you have made.
What i don’t realize is in truth how you are not actually much more well-liked than you may be
now. You’re very intelligent. You realize therefore significantly relating to this subject,
produced me individually imagine it from numerous numerous angles.
Its like men and women are not interested until it’s something to accomplish with Lady gaga!
Your personal stuffs outstanding. Always take care of it up!
Very shortly this website will be famous among all blog viewers,
due to it’s nice posts
Loving the information on this internet site, you have done great job on the posts.
Can I simply just say what a relief to uncover someone that actually understands what they’re discussing on the web. You certainly realize how to bring a problem to light and make it important. A lot more people really need to look at this and understand this side of the story. I was surprised that you’re not more popular because you certainly possess the gift.
Great post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I’m inspired! Extremely useful info particularly the remaining part 🙂 I deal with such info much. I used to be seeking this particular information for a long time. Thanks and good luck. |
thanks for sharing
Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blog and I’m impressed!
Extremely useful info specifically the last part :
) I care for such information much. I was looking for this particular info for a long
time. Thank you and best of luck.
Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your site?
My blog is in the very same niche as yours and my users would
truly benefit from some of the information you present here.
Please let me know if this ok with you. Thanks
I like what you guys tend to be up too. This sort of clever
work and exposure! Keep up the terrific works guys I’ve you guys to our blogroll.
I simply want to say I’m newbie to blogs and definitely loved this web blog. Most likely I’m likely to bookmark your blog . You amazingly have perfect writings. Many thanks for revealing your web page.
Hello, i read your blog from time to time and i own a similar one and i was just wondering if you get a lot of spam comments? If so how do you protect against it, any plugin or anything you can advise? I get so much lately it’s driving me crazy so any assistance is very much appreciated.|
Just want to say your article is as amazing. The clearness in your post is just spectacular and i can assume you are an expert on this subject. Well with your permission let me to grab your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please carry on the gratifying work.|
Good day I am so thrilled I found your website, I really found you by error, while I was looking on Bing for something else, Nonetheless I
am here now and would just like to say man thanks for a remarkable post and
a all round enjoyuable blogg (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read it all
at the moment but I have bookmarkjed it and
also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do
kee uup the awesome jo.
Feel free to visit my web-site; jual besi beton semarang
Wow, this article is fastidious, my sister is analyzing these kinds of things, thus I am going to inform her.|
bookmarked!!, I love your blog!|
Ahaa, its nice conversation on the topic of this paragraph at this place at this webpage, I have read all that, so at this time me also commenting here.|
I visited multiple websites but the audio feature for audio songs existing at this website is in fact marvelous.|
Hi i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anywhere, when i read this paragraph i thought i could also make comment due to this sensible post.|